BOSTON — November 2, 2022 — AtScale, the leading provider of semantic layer solutions for modern business intelligence and data science teams, hosted the inaugural Semantic Layer Summit on September 28, 2022. More than 7,000 signed up for the one-day virtual event, which featured top experts in artificial intelligence (AI) and business intelligence (BI), interactive opportunities, education and discussion sessions and networking opportunities. Over 30 enterprise data leaders shared practical advice based on real-world semantic layer initiatives, best practices, and information on what the future holds. For more details on the event, see this summary blog post.
“We were thrilled with the level of interest in this first ever Semantic Layer Summit,” said Josh Epstein, CMO, AtScale. “The overwhelming response from attendees, combined with the high caliber of speakers and sponsors we were able to attract, demonstrates the level of interest in this topic. We are looking forward to using this event to build a community of professionals interested in actively shaping the evolution of semantic layers for data and analytics.”
The date for the Semantic Layer Summit 2023 has been set for April 6, 2023 with early registration now available. A new Semantic Layer Slack channel has also been created to host ongoing conversations related to the evolution of Semantic Layers and to share updates on upcoming conferences.
“While the concept of a semantic layer is by no means new, it has become an even more important element of analytics strategy, as organizations modernize their data infrastructure,” said Bill Inmon, the founder and CEO of Forest Rim Technology. “This year’s Semantic Layer Summit brought together different viewpoints from practitioners, researchers and vendors. I think it is a big enough topic to warrant its own special interest forum.”
“The data industry is at an interesting inflection point in how we think about analytics-ready data,” said Ram Kumar, Chief Data and Analytics Officer for Cigna. “The complexity of data pipelines and the reliance on data engineers to support the ever changing needs of the modern data-driven business, as well as the rapidly changing technology and tools landscape, is not sustainable. A well-thought out semantic layer strategy as a critical component of an organization’s data strategy is extremely important in delivering a return on data assets.”
Speaker and Presentation Highlights
Some of the notable speaker and presentation highlights from the 2022 Summit included:
- “The Evolution of Data Architecture & the Semantic Layer,” featuring Bill Inmon, the founder and CEO of Forest Rim Technology, who’s also commonly known as the “Father of the Data Warehouse”; one of the world’s top AI influencers and Chief Science Officer at DataPrime, Kirk Borne; and Benn Stancil, the Chief Analytics Officer and Founder at Mode.
- “Designing and Executing a Scalable Enterprise Data Strategy,” by Andrew Sohn, Senior Partner at NewVantage Partners; Ram Kumar, Chief Data and Analytics Officer at Cigna; and Vidhi Chugh, Staff Data Scientist at Walmart.
- “Data Platform & Insights Tech,” by Chris Ling, Director of Data Platform and Analytics at Kolibri Games; Ramdas Narayanan, Vice President, Product Manager (Data Analytics and Insights Tech) at Bank Of America; and Fahad Bijle, Vice President, Data Strategy and Data Products at CalAmp.
- “Scaling Data Literacy,” by Jordan Morrow, Vice President and Head of Data and Analytics at BrainStorm, Inc.; Megan Brown, Director, Global Center of Excellence for Advanced Analytics and Data Science at Starbucks; and Chad Sanderson, Head of Product, Data Platform at Convoy.
- “Enterprise Analytics & Data Strategies,” by Tomeka Hill-Thomas, Senior Principal, Workforce Strategy and Analytics at Mercer; Mark Stern, Vice President of Business Intelligence & Analytics at BetMGM; and Richard Lichtenstein, Expert Partner & Chief Private Equity Data Officer at Bain & Company.
- “Actionable Insights for Everyone,” by Colin Reid, Senior Data Engineer at Trumid; Jennifer Wheeler, Director, Augmented Intelligence – Pharma, at Cardinal Health; Mark Stange-Tregear, Vice President, Analytics, at Rakuten Rewards; and Greg Mabrito, Director of Data and Analytics at Slickdeals.
During this year’s virtual event, attendees were able to interactively visit all sponsor exhibitor booths and connect with other attendees. The full list of event sponsors for this year’s event include:
Resources and More Information
- Semantic Layer Summit On-Demand Sessions – Interested parties can watch all of the “Main Stage: and “Tech Stage” sessions from the Semantic Layer Summit 2022 on-demand here. Sessions explore the importance and impact of using a semantic layer for data and analytics. Top data leaders, technologists, and industry experts focus on how to deliver actionable insights for everyone in your organization.
- Complimentary Book – Make Insights Actionable with AI & BI – Data and analytic enthusiasts can get their complimentary digital book here featuring 20+ AI & BI contributing authors offering practical advice on executing data and analytics across the enterprise.
- Save the Date – To pre-register for the 2023 Semantic Layer event being held on April 6, 2023, click here. For more information on sponsorship or speaking opportunities, please email email@example.com.
- Semantic Layer Slack Community – Join the Semantic Layer Slack community to network and exchange ideas with data and analytics professionals interested in the evolution of the semantic layer.
AtScale enables smarter decision-making by accelerating the flow of data-driven insights. The company’s semantic layer platform simplifies, accelerates, and extends business intelligence and data science capabilities for enterprise customers across all industries. With AtScale, customers are empowered to democratize data, implement self-service BI and build a more agile analytics infrastructure for better, more impactful decision making. For more information, please visit www.atscale.com and follow us on LinkedIn, Twitter or Facebook.
Guyer Group for AtScale