Industry’s Largest Hadoop Maturity Survey Reveals Adoption Rapidly Accelerating and Best Practices for Achieving Value Emerging
94% of respondents bullish about their ability to achieve value from Hadoop
SAN MATEO, CA, September 17, 2015 – AtScale, the first company to provide business users with fast and secure self-service access to Hadoop, announced today that it had partnered with Cloudera, HortonWorks, MapR, and Tableau to release the world’s largest and industry’s first worldwide Hadoop Maturity Survey. With thousands of responses from North America, Latin America, Asia and Europe, AtScale’s survey is the broadest and deepest Hadoop survey conducted to date.
“This survey is full of surprising insights, at times contradicting results of previous surveys, and provides a very granular view of what people are actually doing with Hadoop,” says Wayne Eckerson, an internationally recognized thought leader in the business intelligence and analytics field, who will be dissecting the survey results at an upcoming webinar.
__The World’s Largest Hadoop Maturity Assessment
With over 2,200 respondents globally, the AtScale Maturity Survey is the first of its kind to achieve global reach and deep insights by industry, workload and geography. This survey is different from previous published research as the companies polled reveal a high level of engagement with the new data platform: 81% of respondents who have Hadoop say they have worked with it for more than 6 months and more than ¾ deploy between 10 to 500+ nodes.
“There has been a lot of confusion around the actual state of the Hadoop market,” says Dave Mariani, CEO and founder of AtScale. “With this survey, we aimed to cut through the hype, identify where leading organizations can win with Hadoop, and expose the best practices they employed to gain value faster from this new data platform.”
To get a complimentary copy of the survey, go to https://www.atscale.com/
Hadoop growth and value
The survey reveals the practices and habits of organizations that have succeeded with Hadoop and provides insights into initiatives that accelerate a company’s path to Hadoop. Regarding organizations that are about to embark on their Hadoop journey, the survey indicates interesting trends for where the market is at today and where it will be in a year from now.
Key findings include:
Hadoop adoption is growing and accelerating
- 76% of those who already use Hadoop plan on doing more within the next 3 months.
- Only 3% of surveyed anticipate they will be doing less in the next 12 months.
- Almost half of those who haven’t deployed Hadoop say they will in the next 12 months.
Hadoop might be at a tipping point
- ETL and Data Science workloads are decreasing, while Business Intelligence is gaining momentum.
- Self-service could be Hadoop’s #1 upside:
- 60% of respondents complain of a lack of self-service to Hadoop.
- Organizations that provide business users with self-service access are nearly 50% more likely to realize tangible value.
Intentions matter and prospects are bullish
- Companies that deploy Hadoop to drive revenues are close to 30% more likely to achieve value than those who are looking to cut costs.
- 94% of respondents are bullish about their ability to achieve value from Hadoop and 49% say they are already deriving tangible value.
- The presence of an “executive mandate” (not sponsorship but mandate) boosts an organization’s chances of deriving value from Hadoop by 20%.
The AtScale data is the result of the Hadoop Maturity Assessment methodology the team developed with survey experts. The assessment tool, which can be accessed here, is composed of about 25 questions, designed to assess a company’s stage along its Hadoop journey. By taking the assessment, participants get an immediate score, access to a primer to help them mature, as well as aggregated results they can use to benchmark their efforts against industry peers.
AtScale makes BI work on Hadoop. With AtScale, business users get interactive and multi-dimensional analysis capabilities, directly on Hadoop, at maximum speed, using the tools they already know, own and love – from Microsoft Excel to Tableau Software to QlikView. Built by Big Data Veterans from Yahoo!, Google and Oracle, AtScale is already enabling the BI on Hadoop revolution at major corporations. To see how AtScale can help you, go to: www.atscale.com/try